Pet Wellness Exams at Walden Animal Clinic
Do you wait until your pet is clearly sick or injured before scheduling veterinary evaluation and treatment? If so, it's time to switch to a more proactive approach. Preventative vet care can protect your pet from a great many diseases and disorders, while also assuring that any conditions that do occur receive the earliest possible treatment. Pet wellness exams play a major role in this approach, and we're more than happy to provide this form of care here at Walden Animal Clinic.
The Value of Preventative Vet Care
Few sights are more distressing to pet owners than that of a sick or suffering animal. Infections, parasitic infestations, and systemic diseases can create a great deal of misery and possibly shorten your pet's life. Treating such conditions can prove both medically and financially challenging, especially in advanced cases. A cancerous tumor or diseased gums, for instance, can be treated much more easily, successfully, and cost-effectively if caught early. Many other serious health threats can be avoided altogether through regular monitoring of an animal's conditions and the use of preventative techniques such as vaccinations or weight control plans. The resulting increase in overall wellness can spare your pet a lot of misery.
The first line of defense against common health concerns is the scheduling of periodic wellness exams. Most adult animals should receive one wellness exam per year until they reach geriatric status, at which point they should receive two annual exams. Puppies and kittens usually receive several wellness exams and related procedures to make certain that they're getting the healthiest possible start in life.
Basic Points of a Pet Wellness Exam
Our veterinarian at Walden Animal Clinic, Dr. Kelly or Dr. Rich, will perform many of the same kinds of checks that you might expect at your routine physical. Our standard wellness exam procedures include:
- Lab testing - We examine your pet's blood, urine, and fecal samples for any signs of disease, parasites, or other abnormalities.
- Exterior inspection - We check the health of your pet's eyes, ears, skin, hair, tail, and other features.
- Dental Checkups - We look for dental problems and provide preventative teeth cleaning.
- Behavioral/functional checks - Examination of your pet's gait, stance, and sensory responses can tell us much about his health.
- Weighing - We weight your pet to guard against obesity (a gateway to many serious disorders)
Schedule an Exam with Our Walden Veterinarian
Your veterinarian at Walden Animal Clinic is ready to help you give your pet a healthier life. Call (845) 778-7343 today to schedule a pet wellness exam!